Friday, October 31, 2008

That Girl is FIERCE!!

A couple of days ago, one of my best friends shoved his iPod touch under my nose while this video played. "Isn't this hella fierce?" he asked.

And I'll admit it. I've got a little bit of hetero-crush on Beyoncé, also from H-town. While she’s probably still thinner than she should be, she’s embraced those curves and she is not afraid to flaunt them! She’s completely in charge of her sexuality and not afraid to go after what she wants. In truth, I’m getting a little tired of Tyra Banks and all the “fierceness,” but when I think about Beyoncé and I watch this video, I get why she likes the word so much.

I also love the minimalism of this video: it says, “I’m show enough. You don’t need anything else to watch.” She’s undeniably sexy, but not because of what she’s wearing (which was described on The Starter Wife as a “nun suit”), but because she owns it—no insecurities, no apologies.


Beyoncé has been a continuous lightning rod for criticism since the 2000 firings of two of the original members of Destiny’s Child: from her relationship with Jay-Z to bad reactions from parents of young fans regarding B’Day, to TMZ.com’s infamous “roboho” comment regarding her 2007 performance at the BET awards. But for the life of me, I can’t figure out why. Her wardrobe has a continual classiness to it, she strives to keep her private life private, and she lacks the antics of a growing collection of music industry bad-girls. Add in that she’s an undeniably talented woman that has made smart decisions about her career that kept her from being a one-hit wonder, and I have to say that if my daughter were going to choose a role-model from a music industry that provides very few, I’d be overjoyed if it were Beyoncé.

No comments: